Friday, September 07, 2007

The Name Meme

Nirmala from Nirmala's Cooking Corner tagged me for this meme. For each letter in my name, I have to share a little nugget relating to a word that starts with a letter from my name.

Here are the "official" rules (for all of you playing the home version):

  • Players must list one fact, word, or tidbit that is somehow relevant to their life for each letter of your first or middle name.

  • When you are tagged you need to write your own post containing your first or middle name game facts, word, or tidbit.

  • At the end of your post choose one person for each letter of your name to tag.

  • Don’t forget to leave a comment telling them ,they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

  • If I've tagged YOU, please join in on the fun!


  • PAUL -

    Pisces - My birthday is in March and very much fit the typical description of a Pisces.

    Avid reader - I love to read and even thought about starting a blog reviewing the books I've read. I tend to read a bunch of books in a short period of time and then get distracted/busy for a time and then repeat the cycle again. My subject matter jumps all over the place too. Currently I'm reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss and another on botched executions called The Executioner Always Chops Twice. Since the beginning of July I've finished Louise Dickinson Rich's We Took to the Woods, Bernd Heinrich's A Year in the Maine Woods, Dianne Jacob's Will Write for Food, David Sacks' book Language Visible about the history of the alphabet, Bourdain's The Nasty Bits, Steven Ozment's A Mighty Fortress: A New History of the German People, Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation, Eric Schlosser's Reefer Madness (easily as good as Fast Food Nation), and a general pop-culture attraction guide called Elvis Presley Passed Here.

    Udder - As in the thing on the bottom of dairy goats. Lorrie and I recently took a class called Farm Dreams which was about helping people decide if they want to farm or have a market garden and what they need to think about and what it will really take. I also have a cheese making class scheduled in October and then Lorrie and I are taking a soap making class in November. We are thinking about starting a small dairy goat farm to make things like soap and then eventually growing it and making it part of a B&B where everything we use will either be made on the farm or grown locally.

    Lineage - I've done some research into my family tree and found some interesting ancestors. My 11th great grandfather is Stephen Hopkins, who both lived in Jamestown for awhile and came over on the Mayflower with his daughter Constance, my 10th great grandmother. I also have a 4th or 5th great grandfather who was a Loyalist in the American Revolution and eventually moved to Canada. Who knows how many hereditary societies my family could join if I got off my duff and actually did the follow-up leg work.


    Now, for the people I am tagging:
    Hannah of Bittersweet
    Alisa of One Frugal Foodie
    Mimi of French Kitchen In America
    Kristen at Dine and Dish

    6 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Ok, I'm game. It will take me a while; perhaps by tonight I'll have something together.

    Thanks, Paul. This will be fun.

    Anonymous said...

    Hm, this is a tough one! It might take me a bit, but I'll try my best.

    Paul said...

    Mimi, Hannah, glad you guys are playing along.

    Unknown said...

    BTW, Paul, I loved Louise Dickinson Rich's "We Took to the Woods," and I have a used copy of it that I should reread soon! Thanks for the reminder. I have several similar books that make great autumn and winter night reading.

    Paul said...

    Rich's book was incredible. Her writing is so straight forward and humorous. She had me sold on moving out of the city and homesteading somewhere.

    All in all, I'd recommend all of these books. Well maybe not the alphabet history. It was fine and I learned what I wanted but it was based on a 26 week newspaper column so there was a lot of repetition.

    Nirmala said...

    Thanks for playing! I'm going to check out some of the books you recently read.