Thursday, October 19, 2006

National Boss Day 2006 - Part Three - Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

I had half of the dough left from the cutouts. We had decided to do cutout cars to go along with two's and zero's and decorate them all the same. But as I was wiping down everything after I finished the dough and was waiting for it to chill, inspiration struck me. I remembered a recipe towards the back of the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion book for peanut butter filling. Open up the book and on page 466, there it was. So I whipped up a quick batch of the filling. When it came time to roll the dough and cut the cookies, I changed it up from the previous cutouts. The car cutout was about two inches high by four inches long so it was a decent sized cookie. However I rolled it to a thickness of a about an eighth of an inch this time. I didn't want to end up with a really tall cookie sandwich. Interesting note, I expected the baking times between these cookies and the other cutouts to be different. This was not the case, the baking times were similar. I suspect it was because the amount of dough in each type of cookie was roughly the same. Once the cookies were cooled a bit I started making the sandwiches. I rolled the filling out to about an eighth inch thick and cut out the car shape using the cookie cutter and then put it between two cookies. That's it, simple. These turned out really good. I loved how they tasted. Biting into them caused a peanut butter explosion of flavor in your mouth without being tooth achingly sweet. These were the most popular items out of the three I made.

Here are a couple pictures of the final product in its packaging.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul, thank you so much for the wonderful and tasteful Nascar treats. Everything was delicious and you really outdid yourself this time. I certainly was spoiled on Boss's Day and appreciate the time, effort and ingrediants you put into all the
goodies!

Kathy - Lorrie's "boss"